There are many misconceptions out there about hair color so we decided to give you 10 tips on coloring your hair.
1. An all over color consists of coloring all of your hair to a different tone or level (referring to how dark or how light). Average hair grows about 1/2 in. per month so regrowth of the hair is retouched on average every 4-6 weeks. If you had an all over color that was permanent you will not necessarily need to cover the whole head again on your next visit. Instead you can just do a retouch which is just coloring the regrowth.
2. Permanent color is the only way to completely cover grey hair. If you had a permanent color on your entire head, when the regrowth comes in you will only need to use permanent again on the regrowth. If the ends have faded they can be refreshed with semi permanent color.
3. Color can’t lift color meaning if you have color on your hair you can’t lighten it by putting a lighter shade over it. If you have color on your hair, the only way to lighten it is through highlighting or going through a two step process.
4. If used properly, Bleach doesn’t damage the hair. Maybe you have had your hair highlighted before and noticed breakage? This was due to the colorist overlapping previously lightened hair or processing the hair for too long. Avedas bleach with its natural buffers and plant extracts is the most gentle on the market and can be formulated to work slow if needed.
5. If you want a change but don’t want to commit or if you just want to blend your grey hairs but not cover them completely, semi permanent color is the way to go. Aveda has a semi permanent line that lasts 6-8 weeks, is 99% naturally derived, and has no ammonia.
6. Coloring your hair actually makes it feel better. Avedas color line is very conditioning making the hair feel softer and appear shinier.
7. Color will fade if you are not using color safe shampoo. We recommend Aveda Color Conserve Shampoo because it is specifically formulated for Aveda color. Sun can also fade your color. We recommend Aveda Sun Veil it’s like sunscreen for your hair.
8. Maintaining your color: You can alternate between full and partial highlights every 6-8 weeks. All over colors can last anywhere from 6-8 weeks. Ombre color ,once put in, will only need the regrowth touched up which is a much shorter appointment. Ombre type coloring can last for months. If you have grey hair and wear a highlighted look, you can alternate appointments getting the highlights and the regrowth touched up and then 3-5 weeks later just get the regrowth touched up (highlights do not need to be put in every time).
9. Appropriate color should be chosen by taking in consideration the persons eye color and skin tone. Avedas color line is customizable making it easy to create that perfect shade.
10. Last but definitely not least, leave it to the pros!!! DO NOT try to color your hair at home with a box. Box colors don’t turn out like the picture on the box, are full of harsh chemicals and can be very hard to remove from the hair.